Top five most popular products at Trader Joe’s for 2014:
1. Speculoos Cookie Butter
2. Mandarin Orange Chicken
3. Frozen Croissants – Almond & Chocolate
4. Triple Ginger Snaps
5. Unexpected Cheddar Cheese
1. Speculoos Cookie Butter – I completely agree with this product. Number 2 last in 2013.This speculoos cookie butter thing has taken Trader Joe’s by storm. I don’t think they quite expected the popularity of speculoos a couple of years ago, but based on my Facebook Speculoos Cookie Butter fan page (currently around 13,000 fans) I suspect this will remain at the top of their list for many years to come. In fact, based on how many different products they have injected Cookie Butter into this past year, I expect them to keep it up for a while longer. Cookie Butter Ice Cream. Cookie Butter Cheesecakes.
2. Mandarin Orange Chicken – This has been at the top of the list for many years. I am not a big fan of it, but it is one the best selling products that Trader Joe’s makes. As I said in my review a couple of years ago. This is basically deep fried chicken nuggets that you bake in the oven and cover with a sugary, hot sauce. I completely understand but I rated it poorly because you can get much better Orange Chicken even at the worst Chinese restaurant down the road. I suspect this will continue to be on the top 5 list for many years. Trader Joe’s will not monkey with this product for a long time. Expect it be around for a long time.
3. Frozen Croissants – Almond and Chocolate – I am a little surprised by this product. It didn’t even crack the top 25 list last year which makes me think people are stacking the votes or Trader Joe’s isn’t being transparent about the products it puts on the list. Anyway, I have reviewed these Croissants in the past and they are really darn good. As with many Trader Joe’s products I don’t expect to see it around for the duration. If you like it, stock up!
4. Triple Ginger Snaps – Another perennial favorite at Trader Joe’s. I have never review them, but for good reason. They are so simple and popular that there isn’t much to screw up here, but I do know that Trader Joe’s will never, ever get rid of these and I expect them to be in the top 5 next year too.
5. Unexpected Cheddar Cheese – Like the Croissants above, I simply don’t know why this is on the list. I’ve never actually had it and it wasn’t on the list last year. In their description of the cheese, they say it’s a kind of mix of cheddar and parmesean from Wisconsin. I don’t doubt it’s a good cheese, but really on the top 5 list? Again, makes me wonder how Trader Joe’s actually picks these since this is such a niche product, I doubt many of their customers have actually tried it…
Let me know your top 5!
2013 Top 5 popular products at Trader Joe’s
1. Triple Ginger Snaps
2. Speculoos Cookie Butter
3. Joe Joe’s Cookies (All Varieties)
4. Reduced Guilt Chunky Guacamole
5. Charles Shaw Wine (All Varieties)